Resources to Support Children’s Literacy Growth
Parents, Caregivers and Families
Parents and caregivers are a child’s first educators and we see them as critical partners in our aims in the ULCC. Below are links that will support parents in advancing literacy development for their children in the home.
At home literacy strategies from birth to high school
ReadWriteThink Parent & Afterschool Resources
Please visit the parent resource library in the ULCC.
Youth Reading Screening: Please call the ULCC at 404-413-8473 or email Dr. Muhammad at email@example.com to request an initial reading screening for your child. The screening takes about an hour. The fee for the screening is $25. Parents/care givers will receive a detailed report on the child’s reading performance.
The GSU Urban Literacy Collaborative Clinic partners with wonderful organizations that collaborate with us to support families and youth in the Atlanta community.
Teachers across schools and communities might find these resources incredibly helpful. Most of the organizations presented here are major supporters of national and international literacy initiatives. They promote excellence in teaching and teacher education, professional literature, and digital communities as teachers serve students in their classrooms.
- ILA: The International Literacy Association is a membership organization for literacy professionals.
- Literacy Research Association: LRA is a professional organization for individuals who share an interest in research and the dissemination of information about literacy and literacy instruction.
- NCTE: The National Council of Teachers of English is devoted to improving the teaching and learning of English and the language arts at all levels of education.
- Read.Write.Think.org: A website jointly sponsored by IRA and NCTE which provides educators, families, and students access to the highest quality practices and resources in reading and language arts instruction.
- Literacy Coaching Clearinghouse: A website designed to enhance the important work of literacy coaches, reading coaches, reading specialists, and instructional coaches as they strive to increase the quality of teacher instruction and student achievement.
- TESOL: Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages is an excellent organization dedicated to English Language Learners across our nation and in our schools.